History of ICVG
The idea of creating a scientific working group dealing with viruses and virus-like diseases of grapevine emerged during the third meeting on grapevine infectious degeneration that was organized by the Office International de la Vigne et du Vin (OIV) in May 1962. The virologists present at the meeting had the vision of creating an international study group independent of OIV with the aim of providing an opportunity for grapevine virologists to engage in constructive debates about their research, methodologies and accomplishments. Although the decision to create an independent group caused disappointment and anger among some OIV members, good relationships were maintained with this organization. Consequently, OIV agreed to publish the first ICVG bibliography prepared by A. Caudwell in 1965, and to organize a joint meeting in Montpellier in 1970. ICVG is invited to participate at each OIV meeting as "observers" and several ICVG members serve on the OIV experts' group on "Grape diseases".
The first ICVG meeting took place at the Federal Agricultural Research Station of Changins in Switzerland on August 17-20, 1964. About 30 participants were in attendance. During the meeting, a provisory steering committee was set up with the following members: E. Baldacci (Italy), R. Bovey (Switzerland), A. Ciccarone (Italy), H. Dias (Portugal), W. Gärtel (Germany), W.B. Hewitt (USA) and A. Vuittenez (France). William B. Hewitt (USA) acted as the first president and continued serving as the president until 1987. Giovanni P. Martelli serves as president since the meeting in Kyriat Anavim, Israel, in 1987. René Bovey served as the secretary from 1964 to 2006 followed by Paul Gugerli (2006 to 2012) and Marc F. Fuchs since the meeting in Davis, California, USA in 2012.
View abstracts and proceedings from past meetings
Past ICVG meetings:
- Changins (Switzerland) on August 17-20, 1964. The convener was R. Bovey. Field trips were organized in Jura and Burgundy (France).
- Davis, California (USA) on September 7-11, 1965. The convener was W.B. Hewitt.
- Bernkastel-Kues (Germany) on September 1967. The convener was W. Gärtel.
- Colmar (France) on June 16-18, 1970. The conveners were A. Vuittenez and A. Caudwell. Visits to vineyards in Horbourg and Riquewihr were organized and a meeting with O.I.V. was held at Montpellier to discuss practical applications of virological knowledge to viticulture.
- Salice Terme (Italy) on September 16-23, 1973. Field trips to Tuscany and Sicily (organized by E. Baldacci, G. Belli and E. Refatti).
- Cordoba and Madrid (Spain) on September 12-17, 1976. Post conference tour in the Rioja and Villafranca del Penedes viticultural regions (organized by A.Peña-Iglesias and Committee).
- Niagara Falls (Ontario, Canada) on September 7-12, 1980. Field trips to Geneva, NY (USA) and East Lansing, MI (USA) (organized by H. Dias).
- Bari (Italy) on September 2-7, 1984. Post conference tour in Sardinia (organized by G.P. Martelli and U. Prota).
- Kiryat Anavim (Israel) on September, 6-11 1987. Post conference tour in northern Israel (organized by E. Tanne and Committee).
- Volos (Greece) on September 3-7 1990. Post conference tour in southern Greece (organized by I.C. Rumbos and Committee).
- Montreux (Switzerland) on September 5-10, 1993. Post conference tour in Valais (organized by P. Gugerli and Committee).
- Lisbon (Portugal) from September 28 to October 2, 1997. Post conference tour in northern Portugal (organized by O.A. De Sequeira and Committee).
- Adelaide (South Australia) on March 12-17, 2000 (organized by R.H. Symons and Committee).
- Locorotondo (Italy) on September 12-17, 2003. Technical and historical tours in Southern Italy, including Lecce and Pompei (organized by G.P. Martelli and Committee).
- Stellenbosch (South Africa) on April 3-7, 2006. Technical tours in Stellenbosch-Paarl region (organized by J. Burger and Committee).
- Dijon (France) from August 31 to September 4, 2009. Technical tours in Burgundy and Jura vineyards (organized by E- Boudon-Padieu and Committee).
- Davis, California (USA) on October 7-17, 2012. Technical tours in Napa Valley and Central Valley (organized by D.A. Golino and Committee).
- Ankara, Turkey on September 7-11, 2015. Technical tours at Ankara University and near Cappadocia (organized by Filiz Ertunç and committee).
Santiago, Chile on April 9-12, 2018. Technical tours at Viña San Pedro and Viveros Valentina (organized by Nicola Fiore and committee)